35 Uses for Peppermint Essential Oil

Peppermint is one of the most versitile essential oils on the market today. Here is a list that I have compiled of 35 uses! Keep a copy of this list nearby your essential oil collection. If you haven’t tried essential oils yet, peppermint is where you should start. Come join the Peppermint Campaign today!
  1.  Use 1 drop of Peppermint oil in a mug of hot water instead of tea. 1 drop equals 24 bags of peppermint tea!
  2.  Inhale Peppermint oil or from the palms of your hands to help with nausea.
  3. Rub 1-2 drops of Peppermint oil on tummy to help with stomachache.
  4.  Mix  3-4 drops of Peppermint  with water in a spray bottle and spray the back of your neck while working outside for a great cooling effect.
  5.  Leave your aspirin at home.  Peppermint helps with headaches and migraines!
  6.  Pain from bumps can be alleviated with a drop of Peppermint.
  7. #Bumped your leg? A drop or two of Peppermint oil can keep bruises at bay.
  8. Mom’s add a drop or two of Peppermint oil to your child’s shampoo and protect them from lice!
  9.  Dandruff? Use some Peppermint on your scalp!
  10. Sinusitis, asthma, bronchitis, cold and cough can be treated with peppermint.
  11.  Use Peppermint oil instead of breath freshener before you kiss your hubby!
  12. A drop or two of Peppermint oil on a cold wet cloth used over the eyes can help reduce your stress level.
  13.  Use Peppermint on cotton balls to deter mice.
  14. Spray Peppermint mixed with water to prevent ants and beetles.
  15. Spray diluted Peppermint on your clothing to deter Mosquitoes!
  16. Use Peppermint diluted on the skin to reduce itching from hives.
  17. Need to concentrate? Inhale Peppermint oil from your palms or use a diffuser! Great for classrooms!
  18.  Pain from arthritis? Use a drop of Peppermint on those aching joints.
  19. Keep Peppermint oil in the car on your commute to stay alert. Add a drop to a napkin, and place in the a/c vent.
  20.  Use Peppermint Oil on your scalp to help regulate the PH to combat both dry scalp and oily hair!
  21.  I put I few drops around the garage door and back door to eradicate the shrews here in Alaska.  - Gayle
  22. Snoring problems?? A friend of mine puts a drop of peppermint in an 8 oz. glass of water every night for her husband who snores LOUDLY. He drinks a couple of swallows just before bed time and it works like a charm. When she occasionally forgets to do this, those are the nights he snores like a bear
  23. I have had several occasions when ants thought that a place in my home was a wonderful place to move into. I simply watch and determine where their entry point into the house is and put a few drops of peppermint oil around the area where they are coming in. Apparently ants really dislike peppermint oil because they abruptly stop coming in and don’t return. I very seldom have to do repeat applications for the same spot. Works like a charm and the ants stay outdoors where they belong.
  24. Helps with inflammation and pain from carpel tunnel.
  25. Teachers, diffuse in classroom during tests to help students attention span and concentration.
  26. Mix Peppermint and Lavender to deter mosquitoes from babies and small children
  27. Woke up this morning with a junk food hang over, rubbed pepperment oil around my naval for my upset stomach and above my eyebrow for my headache….I’m feeling much better now. – Sandy
  28. Woke up with a terrible crick in my neck this morning. I have 6 horses to massage today and that’s no time for me to be sore! Rubbed some peppermint oil directly on the crick and further down where the muscles were sore about 10 minutes ago and it’s already relaxed! – Lisa
  29. Use in a compress for  hemorrhoids.
  30. A drop of peppermint oil on the jawline used after tooth extraction helps with pain and swelling.
  31. Massage 2-3 drops onto the chest or drop into a humidifier to clear sinus and lung congestion and support normal breathing
  32. Massage several drops on your abdomen, place a drop on the tip of the tongue or wrists, or inhale to soothe motion sickness or general nausea
  33. Research by Alan Hirsch, MD, shows that inhaling peppermint essential oil helps trigger a sense of fullness. Inhale 5-10 times a day to curb appetite
  34. Rub a drop or two of peppermint into legs for restless leg syndrome.
  35. Peppermint oil can help reduce fungal infections

Come join the Peppermint Campaign today!

Comments

1. This oil has many great properties. It has multi purpose benefits in everything. Thanks for this sharing.

2. Lisa says:

I use coconut oil and a drop of peppermint on my toothbrush in place of toothpaste. It makes my mouth feel super clean.

• Interesting mix. I can’t say I’ve ever thought of, or heard of, this particular mix for a toothepaste. Sounds cool, though, Lisa! I’ll have to try it out for myself :)

-Josh

3. I had not thought of the belly button as a place to put the oil. The little biting bugs that get through window screens were repelled by placing a rag on the sash with peppermint oil and eucalyptus oil. Glad I found your site.

4. I have one more! A few sniffs of peppermint EO for hot flashes.

• Nancy says:

How do I go about using this for hot flashes, I’m having a very ruff time with these!

5. Kristi says:

Just a reminder that peppermint eo isn’t safe
    for cats. You might not want to do some of these if you share your home with furry friends.

6. Michelle Noel says:

I use 15 drops of peppermint oil with 10 drops of tea tree oil mixed with 8oz of water as a disinfectant for my yoga mat and towel. It works great to get rid of that nasty foot and sweat smell. I wish everybody at the studio used it!

7. Billee says:

I use peppermint oil behind my daughters ears for migraine.

8. robin canfield says:

Thanks so much for this information,we are so excited to find all the wonderful GOD given remadies for our ailments instead of toxic chemicals compounded id some lab.

9. Thanks for this information! It’s really helpful in my research..

10. Anastacia says:

I once had a fever for a few days and nothing was breaking it (and I’m very stubborn and hate doctors) and my grandma came into my room and rubbed a few drops on my feet. I took a nap and when I woke up the fever was gone. I doubted the effects of peppermint oil, but after this, I was a believer.

11. Dooes anybody know the way to mix peppermint with vinegar and cookingoil for fleas?

• Georgia, you dont need to mix it with either for your pets or home. Just putbit on your hand and pet your dog or cat. I diffuse for fleas and ither insects or put 20 drops in a bottle mixed with a tsp of epson salt to disperse, then fill spray bottle with water. Spray where needed.

12. i m in love with polka

13. nteresting mix. I can’t say I’ve ever thought of, or heard of

14. Debbie Workinger says:

I have two cats so, as lng as it is not on them directly is it okay? Also can I use it on my Golden retriever?

• Debbie, I would use it with a carrier oil for your daughter, but most older kids and adults handle peppermint neat (by itself) without any problems. Young Living peppermint is perfectly fine to use on cats and dogs because it is not adulterated. I do not recommend using any other brand of oils on cats because additives can be toxic.

15. Debbie Workinger says:

Do I need to place it with a carrier oil? Can I use it on my daughter undiluted? She will be 2. Also can I use it on my Golden retriever?

16. Dee says:

I apply peppermint eo on cold sores and they disappear quickly. I’ve also used it to gargle with the last time I had a canker sore. :)

Trackbacks

1. [...] The recipe called for a few essential oils, peppermint was not one of them but I bought it anyways because I found out some cool things about peppermint while I was searching around for natural cold remedies. I found out that when peppermint oil when applied to the forehead  can relieve a headache! Or you can put it on a wash cloth and lay it over your face for the same effect. Peppermint oil, due to its antiseptic properties, is useful for dental care. It removes bad breath and helps teeth and gums deal with germs. No wonder, it is added in numerous toothpastes. It is shown to help with nausea, stress, irritable bowel syndrome, hair and skin care, colds and mild asthma. You know those peppermints that are always stashed by the cash registers at restaurants? Next time when paying the bill, grab a handful of them and keep them in the cabinet at home. I read that those can help relieve a sore throat and it really works. I tried it out myself last week. The main active compound in peppermint is menthol and what we know about menthol is that it has a soothing, calming and numbing effect on sore throats. You can read about several more uses for peppermint oil right here: http://www.polkaspotfarm.com/2012/08/06/35-uses-for-peppermint-essential-oil/ [...]