I was pulling out things to make laundry detergent, and remembered about how many people ask me about my recipe. I’ve tried multiple recipes and this is the one that I have come to really enjoy. Its so simple that the kids did almost the entire thing by themselves.
Its easy to double or triple to make more, but I end up making a small batch and keep the ingredients on hand to make more when I run out…which is almost never!
Homemade Laundry Detergent
1 Bar Fels Naptha soap
1 Cup Washing Soda
1 Cup Borax
20 Drops Purification Essential Oil Blend
- Cut up the Fel’s Naptha bar into more manageable chunks. This can be a little harder, but just anything smaller than a whole bar helps.
- Use a Food processor to make the bar soap into a powder-like substance. This isn’t going to be a fine powder, think of large pieces of sand.
- Add Washing Soda and Borax. Pulse until mixed well.
- Add Purification essential oil blend. This adds an amazing scent, but helps to cut down on bacteria, mold, mildew and other things that get into our washing machine.
- Pour into a glass, airtight container. I use a pretty quart size jar. You want glass so that the essential oil doesn’t pull the bad stuff out of the plastic and hold it in your detergent. Always use glass to store anything that uses essential oils.
- Use 2-3 tsp in each load.
This recipe makes enough detergent to wash 64-96 loads! You can normally get all of the ingredients at Walmart on the laundry detergent isle usually on the bottom shelf. My family has been more than pleased with this recipe for the past 6 months, and I don’t see swapping to the old stuff any time soon.
Do you use a different recipe that you love? Leave me a comment!